Friday, June 29, 2007

The dangers of blue-green algae!

Watch out dogs - there my be danger in the lakes and ponds you like to swim in!

Deaths have been reported of dogs ingesting amounts of water that contain blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) and harmful algal blooms.

When some blooms occur in water bodies, exposure to the blue-green algae and their toxins can pose risks to humans, pets, livestock and wildlife. Exposure may occur by ingestion, dermal contact, and aspiration or inhalation.

Here are some links for more information - be careful out there!

Information about blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) and harmful algal blooms.
Algal Poisoning information from the Merck Veterinary manual.

2 comments:

Tish said...

Johann, you've been featured on BlogsWeLuv! :)

Have a great day!

Johann The Dog said...

Tish - you guys rock!!!!! Love your blog. Note to everyone, go and see this blog, you'll be glad you did; and not just because my mug is there, BOL!

http://blogsweluv.com/