Dang it, I picked up something over the weekend at the trial. Mum just got back from taking me to the vet and I have something called - gastroenteritis.
According to Wikipedia (one of our favorite research sites):
Gastroenteritis is a general term referring to inflammation or infection of the gastrointestinal tract, primarily the stomach and intestines. It can be caused by infection with bacteria, viruses, or other parasites, or less commonly reactions to new foods or medications. It often involves stomach pain (sometimes to the point of crippling), diarrhea and/or vomiting, with noninflammatory infection of the upper small bowel, or inflammatory infections of the colon.
It started on the last day of the trial. After my last run I got the "Big D", that's what Mum calls diarrhea. I get it sometimes because I have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) which I get from eating anything with artificial stuff in it - like colorings, preservatives, and the like. But this time the "Big D" persisted.
On Tuesday night, Mum withheld my food for 24 hours, which we thought did the trick, but nooooo....I threw up a little tiny treat that Mum gave me for coming in from outside. And then I had the "Big D" again. That's when she rushed me to the vet.
They stuck a ouchy needle in my leg and took blood. Luckily Mum got that poo sample before we left and they analyzed that. All my test were in the normal range, but when they looked at my poo under the microscope all kinds of squirmy things were in there - way too many Aunt Bonnie said - she's our vet.
So they stuck another needle in me to give me medicine. And gave Mum a supply of nasty tasting pills I have to take twice a day. And the worst part is that I can't eat any solid food for 36 hours, and then when I do get to eat food, it has to be soft food, like yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken noodle soup, for 5 whole days. What the dog?????
Well we are entered in a trial this weekend, 'cause you have to enter weeks in advance. So it's all up in the air. Mum's gonna watch me closely, and if I'm not up to par, we won't go. But she says if I get the zoomies, or start herding birds tomorrow, we may still go. We'll just have to wait and see.
Drat it all!