Because it's Squirrel Awareness Week and they need a break!
As most dogs out there, I love a good squirrel chase. There aren't too many squirrels around our house, since it's a newer neighborhood. But, now and then I see one, or two, and can't believe their tenacity. You really have to admire their work ethic. Kind of BC like, if you BC's will forgive me.
I remember my first encounter with one of the brown , fluffy tailed things. It was a nice Autumn day, kind of like today. Cool, crisp, and with a certain smoky smell in the air. Just as I was patrolling the yard, I saw a flash in my peripheral...something I hadn't seen before. (I'm young, you know, and haven't seen a whole lot).
First, I was a bit startled and barked, then it was as if something had possessed me. I had to have it!!!! Being a herding breed, such that I am, it's in my nature and it's in my blood to either get them out of my yard or round 'em up. I tried both. All to no avail.
Firstly, the little thing was outside the fence and I was obstructed. And secondly, it was fast as the speed of light (well, almost, anyway). Sneaky little thing was uncatchable. For the next month, or maybe more, I tried in vane to corral that little guy. I was successful in one thing, he went away from my yard for the Winter, and didn't return the next Spring.
I sometimes wonder what happened to him. And I sometimes mistake the bunny that bravely visits our yard for the fluffy tailed squirrel, and promptly give chase. But, for the past year, I haven't seen hide, nor hair, of him.
So in honor of my missing squirrel, we salute Squirrel Awareness Week, and swear off the chase, at least until he either comes back, or Squirrel Awareness Week has subsided.
We did a little research for this post honoring squirrels and Squirrel Awareness Week. We Googled and found out some interesting stuff:
- There are all kinds of squirrels - some are hated, and some are loved.
- They sing, have quite a history, and are depicted on ecards you can send to your friends.
- Squirrels have a big role in cinema, and are way famous cartoon characters - you remember Chip N Dale!
- They are photographed, and photograph.
- At times they are blamed for power outages in cities throughout the US.
- They are often depicted in children's books, and they have entire pages devoted to them.
- We may be giving them a break this week - but you gotta watch out if you live in Russia. They may seek revenge. And if you decide to give chase, watch out it could be dangerous!
- If you are like me and don't have quite enough squirrels to entertain you throughout the day, be sure and visit this cool webcam - it's all squirrels, all the time!